Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yajana (PMGPY) will be a brand new program scheduled to be launched shortly through the Central government. In the PMGPY scheme, the government will provide a loan with no interest to women in self-help groups to purchase commercial vehicles for passengers. The scheme is expected to be implemented in the spirit of the current program for the rural sector, “Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.”
The scheme will be launched shortly to provide the loan at no interest on commercial vehicles in regions where roads have been built as part of the PM Gram Sadak Yojana.
Goal for Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana (PMGPY)
• The primary goal of the PM Gram Parivahan Yojana is to improve public transport infrastructure and to create opportunities for employment in rural regions. Through this scheme, the government seeks to connect cities and villages where roads are built. However, there isn’t any or very little public transportation.
• Initially, the government will provide interest-free loans to at least 1500 commercial vehicles within 250 blocks across the nation. The maximum capacity of the commercial vehicle will be ten passengers. The program could be later extended to offer loans to 80000 commercial passenger cars across the nation.
• A loan of up to 6 lakh rupees. 6 lakh will be offered through the PMGPY scheme. The period for the loan is approximately six months. The government has conducted a survey in the rural zones in Bilaspur within Chhattisgarh to assess the program’s feasibility.
• According to a survey, the best solution is to offer loans at a subsidized interest rate for commercial 10-12 seater passenger vehicle that runs over 20-22 kilometers that connect at least 10- 14 small towns.
• The program is expected to increase the accessibility of public transport in rural areas and create employment opportunities, particularly among women.